Tourist Routes / Route of the Encierro (Running of the Bulls)

recorridos turísticos Corralillos del Gas Ascensores Calle Descalzos Corralillo de Santo Domingo Calle Santo Domingo Ayuntamiento Mercaderes Calle Estafeta Plaza del Castillo Curva de Telefónica Plaza de Toros

The origins of the encierro date back to medieval times, Fighting bulls were led through the streets at dawn from outside the city walls to the public square that would serve as the bullring. Many locals got used to running in front of the bulls – a practice that was repeatedly banned by the authorities but which nonetheless would bring together the most adept until it finally ended up becoming established as a deep-rooted tradition. In 1776, the City Council made it obligatory to fence off the entire route and in 1867 the first municipal edict was published with rules and precautions.