The oldest garden in Pamplona, it was originally a field outside the city walls, adjacent to the original walls of the burgh of San Cernin. With the construction of the Citadel, the old medieval walls and La Taconera became included within the new enclosure. Its defences were in full use by the beginning of the 18th century: the bastion of Gonzaga, that of La Taconera, the ravelin of San Roque and the counterguard of Gonzaga. It was transformed into gardens in 1830 – “the Champs-Elysées of the people of Pamplona”. Today the moats house a small zoo.