BASTION OF GONZAGA
The area around La Taconera, formerly taken up by the Vista Bella Bar and the so-called Mirador (Viewpoint), is what originally corresponded to the bastion of Gonzaga. Its structure, which is rather atypical and complex, was without doubt the product of the successive alterations carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries. It was radically modified in 1925: the moat was filled in and the walls were partially demolished, their being increased on the outer part. It was restored in 2009.
RAVELIN OF SAN ROQUE
Also known as “Medialuna de Gonzaga” (Crescent of Gonzaga), it was built between 1675 and 1700 during the reign of Charles II and planned as an outer defence for the Citadel. Located in the Gardens of La Taconera, it boasts on one of its fronts the coat of arms of Viceroy Pignatelli, the Marquis of San Vicente, appointed in 1699. Restored in 2009, it currently houses the deer who climb every night on to its upper part to rest and keep apart from the other animals in the small zoo.
BASTION OF LA TACONERA
This makes up one of the new Italian-style bastions for the new line of defence that were created following the construction of the Citadel. Its stone covering was completed in 1665. The bastion lost its former crown of embrasures at the beginning of the 20th century; in its place was rebuilt a stone ledge which was more in keeping with its function as a sentry walk. Its recent restoration has enabled the state of the curtaining of the city walls that comprise it to be returned to that of their finest era.
The oldest garden in Pamplona, it was originally a field outside the city walls. Adjacent to the original walls of the burgh of San Cernin, this was the site of the market and the monasteries of San Francisco and Santa Eulalia. The construction of the Citadel required the layout of the two new fronts (Taconera and San Nicolás), whereby the old medieval walls and La Taconera became included within the new enclosure.
The bastion of Gonzaga, the ravelin of San Roque and counteguard of Gonzaga were in full use at the end of the 17th century.
It was transformed into gardens in 1830.