Also known as the “half bastion of Parma”, this forms a pointed projection from the walls at the Rochapea Front located opposite the former vegetable gardens of Santo Domingo and adjacent to the General Archive of Navarre.
BASTION OF EL ABREVADOR
Beside the Gateway of France (Portal de Francia) is located the small bastion of El Abrevador. It was built in the 16th century. Restored in 2004, it can be comfortably accessed via the stairs adjacent to the Gateway of France.
BASTION BENEATH EL PILAR
This was added to the bastion of El Abrevador in the mid-18th century in order to increase its defensive capacity. Although this new defence system was built in accordance with new techniques in art at the time involving the attacking and defending of fortresses by the renowned engineer, Vauban, both bastions together (from the 16th and 18th centuries respectively) are genuinely harmonious, despite the two centuries of difference separating them. They represent evolution in terms of the technical advances made in military engineering.
RAVELIN OF THE KINGS
Recently restored, it dates from the 18th century – a time when the need was seen to improve the defences of the France Front (Frente de Francia) based on new military techniques developed by the renowned engineer, Vauban. It emerged to support the defence of the bastions of El Redín and El Abrevador, for which purpose it was located between the two low bastions (that of El Pilar and that of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe) which were being built at the same time.
BASTION BENEATH NUESTRA SEÑORA DE GUADALUPE
Recently restored, it was added to the bastion of El Redín in the mid-18th century in order to increase its defensive capacity. Although this new defence system was built in accordance with new techniques used by the renowned engineer, Vauban, both bastions together (from the 16th and 18th centuries respectively) are genuinely harmonious, despite the two centuries of difference separating them. They represent evolution in terms of the technical advances made in military engineering.
BASTION OF EL REDÍN
Built around 1540, it is – together with that of Labrit - the oldest bastion in the walled complex. It used to occupy the site approximately taken up by the old medieval tower of the Treasury. Since the 18th century, it has been known almost exclusively as El Redín. Recently restored, it is the highest point of the walled complex, which ensures it is the most attractive viewpoint of the City-Fortress above the Arga River.
BASTION OF LABRIT
Built around 1540, it was originally called El Cubo del Molino de Caparroso (the Cube of the Caparroso Mill) or the bastion of Caparroso. After 1669 it became generally known as the bastion of Labrit. From one of its flanks protruded the La Tejería Front, which has now disappeared, the base of which is preserved beside the Jito-Alai pelota court. Only part of the platform that once surrounded it at its base remains as, in view of expansion work on the road to Chantrea around 1960, one of its sides disappeared. It was restored between 2013 and 2014.
FORT OF SAN BARTOLOMÉ
Built during the 18th century, it emerged as an external support for the main walled complex. Of the three prominent forts proposed by the Marquis of Verboom in his project in 1726, this is the only one that remains intact. It was also the last defence to be completed in Pamplona. After its restoration, ended in 2011, it houses the Interpretation Centre for the Pamplona Fortifications and constitutes the starting point of a complete tour around the city-walls of Pamplona, the City-Fortress.
The panoramic glass lift was opened in 2011. This lift enables the city centre to be simply and comfortably accessed from the area of La Chantrea and Magdalena. This project and the urban development in the immediate surroundings were included among those funded by the State Fund for Employment and Local Sustainability. The facility operates at 1-6 m/sec. and avoids a climb of 20 metres, meaning that each journey takes 12.5 seconds.
The Y-shaped footbridge, whose construction is ended in 2010 as a project funded by the State Fund for Employment and Local Sustainability, avoids the Bajada del Labrit hill and enables the Obispo Barbazán sentry walk and Plaza Santa María la Real to be linked to the Park of La Media Luna, the future Thematic Centre of the Encierro (Running of the Bulls) and San Fermín, the Interpretation Centre for the Fortifications and the 2nd Urban Expansion Area (II Ensanche). It has span of 73.5 metres with gradients of 5-6% and a width of 3.5m.
Officially opened in 2008, the “Ascensor de Descalzos” (Descalzos Lift) building links the Paseo de Ronda (sentry walk) with Cuesta de Curtidores, in the neighbourhood of La Rochapea, thus avoiding a climb of 50 m. The building contains two lifts of between 15 and two person capacity each (max. 1500 kg). Additionally, in the Paseo de Ronda area it houses the vestibule and unloading point in a double height area, an exhibition area on the second floor, and a bar-restaurant on the third floor.
Adjacent to the cathedral is the oldest front on the city walls and their sentry walk offers one of the most beautiful walks in the city. This is the largest section of the three divisions of the fortifications, and dates back to the time of the former city of La Navarrería. The bastions of Labrit and Redín date from approximately 1530, and the external defences date from around 1750. The opening-up to the public of the former sentry walk around 1960 and the gradual recovery of the walk itself, its defences, the two existing sentry boxes and the curtaining on the walls have enabled Pamplona to regain its dominant position over the Arga River from up high, just like the City-Fortress it once was.